My mission is to inspire the dreamers and promote wellness.
If you tuned into the show tonight, here is a summary of what you learned.
Count Your Chemicals
It's common to count the calories in our foods, not so common to count the chemicals in the ingredient list. In my Count Your Chemicals segment, I will break down the chemicals in our most popular foods and beverages.
Name of food or beverage
Strawberry Pop Tarts
Total number of chemicals listed
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, VITAMIN B1 [THIAMIN MONONITRATE], VITAMIN B2 [RIBOFLAVIN], FOLIC ACID)
SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL (WITH TBHQ FOR FRESHNESS)
BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR
CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF WHEAT STARCH
LEAVENING (SODIUM ACID PYROPHOSPHATE, BAKING SODA)
SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE
MODIFIED WHEAT STARCH
YELLOW CORN FLOUR
TURMERIC EXTRACT COLOR
STRAWBERRY JUICE CONCENTRATE
NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS
VITAMIN A PALMITATE
VITAMIN B6 (PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE)
VITAMIN B2 (RIBOFLAVIN)
VITAMIN B1 (THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE)
Kellogs also includes a disclosure on their website that states:
This product includes ingredients sourced from genetically engineered (GE) crops, known as GMOs.
3 toxic chemicals
Dextrose is the name of a simple sugar that is made from corn and is chemically identical to glucose, or blood sugar. Dextrose is often used in baking products as a sweetener, and can be commonly found in items such as processed foods and corn syrup.
Dextrose also has medical purposes. It is dissolved in solutions that are given intravenously, which can be combined with other drugs, or used to increase a person's blood sugar.
dactyl tartaric acid ester of mono- and diglycerides, also E472e.
DATEM is an emulsifier primarily used in baking to create a strong gluten network in dough. It is added to crusty breads, such as rye to impart a springy, chewy texture, as well as in the production of biscuits, coffee whiteners, salsa con queso, ice cream, and salad dressings.
Red 40 aka Allura Red
Red 40 is a chemical compound that comes from coal tars. Dyes made from coal tars are created by mixing various fragrant smelling hydrocarbons like benzyne and toluene.
Back in the day (think: ancient Egyptians) dye was made from things found in nature, like flowers, leaves, roots, etc. Over time however, scientists have learned how to create these colors in the lab - this is where dyes like Red 40 made their debut.
My Repeat Record is a record so dope, I gotta play it twice!
Song & Artist
Be Careful by Cardi B
Why I love this song
Cardi reminds her lover to be careful of the decisions that he makes in regards to their relationship.
My favorite part
My heart is like a package with a fragile label on it.
- Got me looking in the mirror different. Thinking I'm flawed because you're inconsistent.
- Karma for you is gonna be who you end up with.
Happy people have happy habits.
Name of habit
What and how we eat is a powerful reflection of who we are, and changing your eating habits is harder than breaking a drug addiction.
Each show, I will shine a spotlight on a Celebrity Vegan. It's easy to follow someone going down the wrong path, so I want to send love to those making positive lifestyle choices.
In the show, I'll share the Dope Details first. If you can guess the Famous Foodie, you will win a free download of The Borderline Vegan's Meal Planning Guide, as well as other special goodies!
Birthday & Sign
November 3, 1987 ~ Scorpio
Professional Football Player and Athlete
- Colin is from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- His biological mother put him up for adoption with Rick and Teresa Kaepernick.
- Kaepernick began following a vegan diet in late 2015.
- A 4.0 GPA student at John H. Pitman High School in Turlock, California, Kaepernick played football, basketball and baseball and was nominated for All-State selection in all three sports his senior year.
- Kaepernick has multiple tattoos. His back features a mural of angels against demons.
- When he was in 4th grade, Kaepernick wrote himself a letter, predicting that he would be 6 feet 4 inches, 190 pounds, and would “then go to the pros and play on the Niners or Packers even if they aren’t good in seven years”, predictions which became accurate except for his weight.
- He reportedly started dating radio personality and television host Nessa in July 2015 and officially went public about their relationship in February 2016.
- He has a pet tortoise named Sammy.
- In his second season of the NFL, he took his team to the Super Bowl.
- Kaepernick became one of the most polarizing figures in U.S. sports when he took a knee during the national anthem. It was a unique and jarring form of protest against police brutality toward African Americans.
In regards to food:
Colin went vegan after learning that our bodies become highly acidic when we consume food products made from animals, which can lead to preventable illnesses later on down the road. He’s stated that his new vegan diet has not affected his ability to put on muscle for his super-physical career.
Name of food
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen each spring.
- One cup of strawberries is only 55 calories.
- There are 200 seeds on an average strawberry. Plus, they're the only fruit to wear their seeds on the outside.
- Considered members of the rose family, they give off a sweet fragrance as they grow on bushes.
- Ancient Romans believed strawberries had medicinal powers. They were used to treat everything from depression to fever and sore throats.
- Strawberries are delicate, requiring gentle handling to prevent bruising. With today's shipping technology, strawberries are available year round, but at a cost. Commercial growers have produced resilient hybrid berries known for their shipping quality.
- They also provide loads of antioxidants and vitamin C.
- Strawberries have been proven to be a spirit-lifter, immune-booster, and libido-increaser.
- Brushing your teeth is important, but eating strawberries can actually help whiten your teeth. The acids in the fruit help to remove stains.
Summary and Reflection
Tell them what you are going to tell them.
Tell them what you told them.
I'm an educator, so everything that I do supports learning. Here are the learning objectives for this show:
- There are 41 chemicals in strawberry Pop-Tarts.
- Our new happy habit of the week is coloring.
- The repeat record was Be Careful by Cardi B.
- Our famous foodie is Colin Kaepernick.
- Fresh strawberries are an excellent source of antioxidants and vitamin C.
- The Motivation Minute came from Cardi B.
- And most importantly, love always wins.
New Music Needed
Know an upcoming rapper or singer? Leave a comment with their iTunes, YouTube, SoundCloud, or streaming info and they may be featured in my Hometown Hero segment.
In my Hometown Hero segment, I will play a track from a local talent that is up or either on their way up. I will hand pick each song, so it's best to let me choose my favorite track of yours. All songs must be original beats, no remixes.
I do offer advertising services for businesses, however you can NOT pay me to play your music.
I only play what I like. Point. blank. period.
You entertain angels unaware. Be nice.